randomy slow internet

Need help?
Lethal

randomy slow internet

Post by Lethal »

I recently moved in with my buddy and am using a wireless network to connect to his high speed internet ( comcast) using a netgear rangemax wireless router and a belkin G wireless network adapter (usb) when i set up the network i secured it and checked the GHZ on his home phone5.8 GHZ and the router 2.4 GHZ i am less than 20 feet from the router on a single level house. Some days my internet is super fast instant streaming of video songs web pages and everything, then other days my internet is super slow almost as slow as 56k my ping on BFDC is around 60-70 on a fast day and on a slow day its around 100-120 fluctuating this is my first wireless network any ideas what might cause this or fixes thanks.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: randomy slow internet

Post by Swanny-CG »

I think you should figure out if it's the wireless of the connection itself. When the slowness happens, if you connect to the netgear with a cable is it still slow? Is your buddy using the internet at the same time, or downloading anything?
Lethal

Post by Lethal »

My buddys connection is super fast on his 3 year old laptop with 512 mb ram on windows xp the computer is slow but he can still stream video load webpages instantly. My networking on my task manager for networking shows 54 MBPS and there is only 1 wall separating me from the wireless router/modem thanks.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

It sounds to me like you don't know what is wrong, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for help. When I troubleshoot stuff (which is what I do for a living), I start with the basics and try to avoid assuming ANYTHING.

Without having tried my suggestion you haven't actually eliminated anything. It may very well be that the wireless is not the issue. Hopefully you're right.

Good luck with figuring it out.