Just bought another 5870 OC edition

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

TG_jneagu

Just bought another 5870 OC edition

Post by TG_jneagu »

So i just bought another 5870 so i can crossfire with the one i have now. They are both exactly the same 1GB cards each. I have never done crossfire before, so a step by step procedure would be nice. I have the power connectors and the crossfire connectors. I just want to know how to install correctly. Like when I get it, do I disable the current card, shut off comp, attach card and crossfire, turn it back on, enable card? or dont disable in the first place? I just want to do this right, any help would suffice. :D
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Just bought another 5870 OC edition

Post by OddJob2021 »

All I know is what I did worked. When you get the new card just shutdown your computer. Once done, unplug the power cord from the back of the comp or from the outlet. Open computer and install second card with power and bridge to other card. Close computer case, and re-plug main power. Turn on computer and see if everything is functioning (it should, and be only running on one card, the original). Go to AMD and download their Crossfire software for Catalyst. Once done it will ask you to restart to install everything correctly. Do so. Once restarted open catalyst and select the tab: Performance and the subtab: AMD CrossfireX. There should be two options enabled or disabled, and post software add-on it should be enabled (pre software add-on it should show disabled even with 2 cards installed and bridged).

If you're having trouble finding the crossfire software to add to your catalyst control center lemme know.

Once the software is installed, you can enable and disable crossfire with that page. By clicking enable/disable it runs a DOS script (that's what the software is) and your screen will go blank for a moment. When it comes back up you'll see the option has changed and you can go back to what you had if you want.