Offensive chat in TS

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Mister Bunkalup

Offensive chat in TS

Post by Mister Bunkalup »

I have heard there may have been offensive comments made in TS. I understand the need for everyone to feel comfortable online as this is a recreational activity. Alternatively, many people enjoy the free speech dialogue and censorship may not only be counterproductive but also a restriction that many in our cyber community resent on it's face. I suggest a separate channel in TS labeled "Highly Offensive Content" that people can easily avoid should they not want to take part in those discussions. They are after all taking the high road.
Mordor
Canada

Re: Offensive chat in TS

Post by Mordor »

Wasn't me :0)
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

This was never a issue in TS before and its sad that its had to come to this of needing to warn offenders with possible kicks/bans. If ppl think their should be a channel for "Highly Offensive Content" to spew racial and derogatory remarks than said ppl shouldnt be on the EA117 TS as its never been tolerated and should never be tolerated in TS. If ppl resent this so called "censorship" than I say there are plenty of other TS/Vents out there to have those type of convos.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

This is sad. Laughable at the same time. Freedom of speech???... I fought for freedom of speech as did a few of us here on the forum, but even we know it does not mean there are not consequences for what you say.

If you can not talk without being a racist asshole than you should find a different TS server.

Bottom line respect the fellow members that are currently present on the TS server. If you are unsure of how they are, assume its your mom. (I don't care if you cuss or say racial slurs in front of your mom, you know what I mean)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

I saw this earlier, but didn't have the time to pin his ears back.
Listen up ya little "one" poster Obama lover. Your little poor everyone with free speech and censorship bullshit. F'ing think before you speeak. This forum is a members only type of club provided to us by the Admins who have allowed us to join their little club called EA 117. They have rules posted. You read rules. You comply with rules. You f'ing obey rules. Its a no brainer, furthermore, said Admins added Teamspeak for a little more enjoyment for playing and bullshitting. I don't get on as much because Nightstalker reminds me of Barney Fife and I can't consentrate on the game. There are rule to TS as well. You can kid around to a point, but if your told to watch your language or racial slurs then do it. It can't get any easier than that. You want to express your freedom of speech then go in front of your house and yell out whatever you want. This forum and TS is for members and members abide by rules. If you or anyone can't handle it then sign the f off and bitch somewhere else.

Kiss kiss Boon and NS

Sarge f'ing first class.....out!

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
prophet
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by prophet »

Bunk has been a member for a long time now. Just cause he hasn't registered on the site doesn't give you the right to talk like to him that. I would appreciate it if you showed some respect when someone asks a simple request. I expected a better response then that.
Intel i5 3570k 3.4ghz
ASUS P877 V-LX Mobo
8gigs DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
EVGA 670GTX FTW 2gigs
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
Thermaltake 850W
Antec 1200 Case
c0loNeL
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by c0loNeL »

Yes, this topic has been edited! If we expect it in TS then rules need to be followed here too.
Forum Rules
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2382
OREX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by OREX »

Honestly, I didn't think that this would stir up such controversy. My hope was that a warning would be enough to get some of you guys to tone down the language. If it was just me that found the language offensive then I would leave TS. Others have said it was becoming an issue and I don't want people to leave TS or the 117 server or community because of racist/bigot comments.

IMO if you pay for the server and the TS then you should be able to say whatever you want with only the repercussions of people choosing to leave your server. If on the other hand you are on a server that someone else has paid for you shouldn't be offended when you are asked to follow the rules that they put in place.
TDogFresh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by TDogFresh »

Happy Easter everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TDF Is2I TGBU PTPM MLP YOLO ~~ T DOG FRESH
prophet
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by prophet »

OREX wrote:Honestly, I didn't think that this would stir up such controversy. My hope was that a warning would be enough to get some of you guys to tone down the language. If it was just me that found the language offensive then I would leave TS. Others have said it was becoming an issue and I don't want people to leave TS or the 117 server or community because of racist/bigot comments.

IMO if you pay for the server and the TS then you should be able to say whatever you want with only the repercussions of people choosing to leave your server. If on the other hand you are on a server that someone else has paid for you shouldn't be offended when you are asked to follow the rules that they put in place.
Yeah I gotcha :-) I think this is what bunk wants to prevent from anyone leaving or getting offended. We can kid around and all but we need to get our act together cause bf4 and there will be newcomers that will join our TS server.
Intel i5 3570k 3.4ghz
ASUS P877 V-LX Mobo
8gigs DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
EVGA 670GTX FTW 2gigs
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
Thermaltake 850W
Antec 1200 Case
Mordor
Canada

Post by Mordor »

He takes off the pic I had with my post lmao . !!!
Last edited by Mordor on March 31st, 2013, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

My name and edit post in the same sentence? Thats crazy. Anyone want to vouch for me :D
I made that rant on purpose just to show that if you don't follow the rules asked by management, you get spanked. Sarge don't whine. The ACLU will remain uninformed as usual. 8-)

With Great Speed
Mordor
Canada

Post by Mordor »

Sarge wrote:My name and edit post in the same sentence? Thats crazy. Anyone want to vouch for me :D
I made that rant on purpose just to show that if you don't follow the rules asked by management, you get spanked. Sarge don't whine. The ACLU will remain uninformed as usual. 8-)

:0)
swodi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by swodi »

So I have to chime in a bit - for a couple reasons... First, I'm sure a few of us (Nick and I for sure@!) have used ts and had our potty mouths on more than we should - I know we've adjusted our 'conversations' as folks had joined and sometimes probably slipped up somewhere along the line and offended someone a little here or there - I'm sure it wasn't awful - and for sure wasn't the standard... But racism was never a part of it and never has been on any of the site/servers. period.

It's odd telling someone not to say/type something when bf3 game is yelling things in the background that make me show my old dad the game with Volume set to 0... Tim had a very eloquent way of telling players to knock off the crap-chat when they started crying about 'I bought the game and can chat how I want blah blah blah'
But not with racist comments - ever.

Bunk - not sure how you have never had a post here!!! But I've played about a zillion hours with ya on bf3 and chatted pretty much all of those with you on ts and never once had any issue/problem with you - always had a blast playing with you :D :D But there are already 'other' channels from the main game/lobby channels where guys could go and private chat about anything/anyway they want among themselves - but their not named "Highly Offensive" and I don't think we need an specific channel just for that :/ Not to mention the fact that if guys are playing and using ts - and guys are playing and going to 'other' rooms just to use 'highly offensive" language - it hurts the game play imo by splitting up players playing the same game into different chat channels when they possibly could be chatting to help each other...
And to me, censorship is stopping or not allowing someone to share an opinion or thought when they should be allowed to - having some respect or decency in an international public (main ts gaming channel(s)) setting is different - it's just showing respect to others - which is after all - the main rule with EA 117 regardless of the game or server or forum...

RFA is the one with the mouth - remember some of the things he used to call you Bunk??? He still PM's me and Beav and Tooly and calls us bad things... meany... :D :D
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

swodi wrote:RFA is the one with the mouth - remember some of the things he used to call you Bunk??? He still PM's me and Beav and Tooly and calls us bad things... meany... :D :D
That's only when he is on the homebrew there Swodi. :D
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Ready-FIRE-Aim
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Ready-FIRE-Aim »

swodi wrote:
RFA is the one with the mouth - remember some of the things he used to call you Bunk??? He still PM's me and Beav and Tooly and calls us bad things... meany... :D :D
Nothing personal ya'll, it's Turrett's Syndrome! And I got ur PM rite cheer, Swod! ;)

And just wanna say hi to Ryan, too, since I haven't been on in a pretty good while.

I would agree with Swodi, without being disagreeable, that a separate room for highly offensive language doesn't strike me as an appropriate work around. One might argue that smoking is a free choice of an individual in pursuit of happiness. I won't argue that one bit. But at the same time, nor will I build a room on to my home to accommodate smokers.
Semper Rugby

Life is better just a half a bubble off dead plumb.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Can I cuss in your non-smoking room RFA????
Tuck

Post by Tuck »

I am never offencive, however, folks do tend to stay up wind when I have gas :12: :12: :12:
Ya..I'm an old fart
Ready-FIRE-Aim
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Ready-FIRE-Aim »

Nightstalker wrote:Can I cuss in your non-smoking room RFA????
All the smokers do, that's for sure!
Semper Rugby

Life is better just a half a bubble off dead plumb.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Oh yea the infamous nicotine deprived language. Definitely not children's book material.
TG_jneagu

Post by TG_jneagu »

this thread is weird and makes no sense.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

okay in that case whats the air speed velocity unladen swallow?

With Great Speed
billythekid1
New Zealand

Post by billythekid1 »

Its not to difficult to tow the line.. If you would not talk like this in front of your grandparents, a police officer or a court judge don't do it in TS simple..

People seriously need to grow up....
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

billythekid1 wrote:Its not to difficult to tow the line.. If you would not talk like this in front of your grandparents, a police officer or a court judge don't do it in TS simple..
Taking my swing at the dead horse...

Apparently its not that simple, because if you're willing to talk this way in public (on EA117's TeamSpeak server), you probably don't see the issue and would entertain doing so in other public aspects of your life, too.

How about this one: "If touching someone on the shoulder while saying what you're saying could be prosecuted as misdemeanor assault with a hate crime enhancement", then don't say it here.

Plus good grief.. in many cases "grandparents" are some of the most racist and bigoted people with no speech filter around. That's probably who it was LEARNED FROM.... :)

-Trench
billythekid1
New Zealand

Post by billythekid1 »

sorry forgot about it being mostly americans here .. I agree your prob right about the whole grandparent thing...

my farther was a british national BNP it amazing im not rascist to be honest, but I chose not to be..