Uncap Main - How close is too close?

Hav3n
United States of America

Uncap Main - How close is too close?

Post by Hav3n »

I'm curious - is there any definitive distance for attacking people near an uncap? I asking primarily about airspace. I often take off from uncap main airfields and go straight up in Jet - thinking I'll get altitude before I have to engage anyone. But then someone comes and shoots me down while I'm flying straight up out of uncap main.

Granted, I'm fairly high, so it's not like a low level kill, but still, I feel its a bit of a courtesy (that I extend at least) to not shoot anyone I see if I happen to fly near or over an uncap unless they're returning to base from fighting. I figure you get a "fair chance" to fly away from your main without getting camped or poached...even if it is at a higher altitude since it is directly over an uncap.

Thoughts?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Uncap Main - How close is too close?

Post by Nightstalker »

I am not a fan of loitering, so I do the same as you with regards to people taking off. That is really a tough call and I am not sure I could give you an answer that would clarify that situation.

I like to give people at least half the distance from the main to a flag before engaging them if I see them take off. That gives them time for their radar to see me and/or if they do not have radar time to set up for a bomb run on the flag.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
c0loNeL
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by c0loNeL »

Nightstalker wrote:I am not a fan of loitering, so I do the same as you with regards to people taking off. That is really a tough call and I am not sure I could give you an answer that would clarify that situation.

I like to give people at least half the distance from the main to a flag before engaging them if I see them take off. That gives them time for their radar to see me and/or if they do not have radar time to set up for a bomb run on the flag.
What he said :D
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

I think there has been a topic on this, but it was a while ago. If I remember right, the rule is, as soon as your wheels are off the ground, you're fair game. It's cheap to kill someone near main unless they are running back to it like little girls. I also avoid flying near the opposing main unless I chase someone back to it, but as far as the rules go, the above was my understanding of Swannys law.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Close Bob. Swanny did say OUT of main not wheels off the ground. ;) After that you are fair game. The main is not a safe zone if you have left and returned.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

That all makes sense...sort of. My specific question was about altitude. Do you guys feel like you should be able to shoot people down because they "left main" by going vertical. Straight up in a jet or heli?

I sort of feel like people shouldn't even fly around enemy uncaps unless they're killing someone shooting out of main, stealing equipment, or show boating...er...ahem...demonstrating flight prowess. (Or lack thereof). If the point of not allowing uncap main attacks is to prohibit cheap and easy killing, it seems like allowing it right on the edge of an uncap main is sort of a bastardized version of it that may not be quite as bad, but is definitely going against the grain of a "no attacking uncap main" rule.

Anyways, a bit of a ramble, but I'm mostly curious on the point of verticality. I sort of despise people flying to an uncap main with the intention of picking off easy targets leaving it or flying directly above it in very vulnerable fashion.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Again that is a sticky situation because there is no measure of, if you are this high you are OK but, below this --- line you are camping.

All I can say is, I hope everyone is giving fellow players a little respect by giving them a chance to get into battle instead of taking cheap shots on people just taking off.

I am sorry, but I honestly do not know of a better way to answer a question when what you are needing (and understandably so) is a defined measurable boundary.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

No problem...why I ask. It is a grey area that pretty much falls on the respect thing. I rarely have an issue with it, but a recent incident merely made me wonder if there was a policy.

Happy flying.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Once you're out of the bubble it's on. If people want to push the limits then it's up to the admin on deck as to what's acceptable.