Hot Jeep

Let's talk shop!
OREX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Hot Jeep

Post by OREX »

My son and his friends went 4 wheeling and one of them had an engine fire get out of hand, could have caused a forest fire. Every rig in their group will be rocking extinguishers in the future....
Jeep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Hot Jeep

Post by Nightstalker »

Well that sucks. Toolman is going to need a few days to recover after seeing this picture. Did the tires blow?? Those are some EXPENSIVE tires. Super Swamper Boggers. What motor was in it? I am assuming a V8 by the exhaust. Did anyone have an extinguisher? I realize that it could have gotten to this point LONG before someone could have made it in time to put the fire out. At least they are alive and assuming unhurt.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OREX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by OREX »

It was a small block chevy engine. The two rigs that were racing to him both had extinguishers but it was too hot to get near by the time they arrived. This picture was taken as an afterthought when the fire was dying down. They were afraid to get too close because of the fuel tank but, the fuel tank never really blew up. They could hear the fuel burning kind of like the whooshing sound when you hit the oxy on a cutting torch but louder.
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

I was actually talking with Orex when he posted it.....not the first Jeep I have seen burn up and I would say that 90-100% of the people I prefer to wheel with always have a fire extinguisher on their vehicle.

Fact is that many of the older rigs have carbs....and because we typically find ourselves in steep inclines/declines and often going VERY slow it's pretty common for the carb to flood or get starved of fuel resulting in stalling out.

Now your removing the air cleaner and messing with stuff and suddenly one of those old plug wires arcs on the engine and woosh......bust out the marshmallows.

so ya fuel injection is awesome.....but so is having something that will put out a fire quickly and not turn into a 5,000 acre wildfire in a couple hours.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.