Mod Requests

Demonic
Australia

Re: Mod Requests

Post by Demonic »

As jolly suggested to me in game chat last night, i will throw in some food for thought.
Adding excessive fire power in to CTF maps, tends to end up being a camp fest ( meaning howitzers, A10's, scuds etc )

the only idea i have for Nas, is perhaps give red the hummers also ?! so red can also heal and get ammo ( unless the pickups can be modded to do it )
otherwise Nas is fairly balanced for both teams.

on bigger CTF maps, maybe a few more non combative helos ?! stingers can pick them off easily, but again, its to avoid the " swarm off Apaches/Hinds spawn camping just for points" situation.....hell maybe bring back the flying buggy on a few maps.
BROTHERS IN ARMS
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

D3monic wrote: the only idea i have for Nas, is perhaps give red the hummers also ?! so red can also heal and get ammo ( unless the pickups can be modded to do it )
otherwise Nas is fairly balanced for both teams.
On Nas Red Main...in lieu of adding health and ammo to the vehicles, I chose to place them in a more protected area since it is a compressed area.
So there is, of course, the ammo box on the corner of the tall building. I have also added health/ammo just to the right of the weapons wall. It is located just to the right, going in, as you clear the short hallway entrance.
The other health is located on the right side of the northernmost market booth against the wall.

This provides 2 sources of health with ammo and an additional source of health only.
This matches Blue main with 2 sources of health and ammo (humvees) and an additional source of health against the doors of the tall building by the flag.
These added sources are not seen in the game because they are static objects. If you could see them, it would be a normal health cabinet and ammo box in the case of inside the building of red main.
D3monic wrote:on bigger CTF maps, maybe a few more non combative helos ?! stingers can pick them off easily, but again, its to avoid the " swarm off Apaches/Hinds spawn camping just for points" situation.....hell maybe bring back the flying buggy on a few maps.
Do you have a few maps in mind?

Thanks,

~ tona
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

all good bro :D i guess i was thinking along the lines of blue having like a 'mobile health/ammo' hummer, that wondered if Red would benefit from it also....but yeah, it still works all the same :D

as for maps.......i actually had to open up the level folder because i cant remember some of the names :D lol

im not sure if Tobruk was ever CTF.....i didnt mind that map CQ, but i wonder if it could work CTF ?! a few helos on there might make it interesting.

Inshallah valley is what we were on last nite when i made a suggestion of a few more helos added....maybe just not the combative type...either that or bring the flags closer together perhaps ?! its a pretty big map, but a pain in da butt if your in a slow ground vehicle......unless we can add buggies, hummers and pick up trucks :D....or more of them if there are some already there....

Gazala and El Al are fine with me.....they have a good balance, for being a bigger map....urban is also good with me :D

if i can think of others ill post them....
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Demonic
Australia

Modding on the server.

Post by Demonic »

as modding is something i cannot do ( at the moment ) i thought i would give some general feedback/suggestions for future ideas.

as we all know its damn near impossible to make everyone happy on a server.....some prefer lots of helos added, where as others are more ground and pound.....but then we have to consider those who prefer to defend/camp etc a main base.

so my idea is to balance a map with enough stuff to give everyone a chance at what they prefer to do, IE : i personally have no chance against those who fly helos...so add a couple of vulcans in or shilkas perhaps so it gives another option.....i know i am not the only one who struggles in a helo, because when those kind of maps come up, some people leave........the ones who prefer to defend/camp, make sure they have what they need ( stingers, 50 cals etc )

of course it may not work on every map.....Gazala to me is pretty evenly balanced and does provide enough for everyones taste.....so it might be like a template in a ways........but its not overly modded with excessive amounts of vehicles etc ( as some maps are at the moment ) as i have mentioned, those kind of maps end up being nothing but a camp fest or points whoring game.....no fun for anyone.

Berlin is another that to me is fairly evenly balanced.....a vehicle or 2 for each team, lots of other weapons for people to chose from.......its not over modded............Nas is the same.......both teams have enough to get the job done without it being an overkill.

perhaps with some maps that are overloaded with helos and planes, they get modded with more ground vehicles instead ...perhaps include the turbo hummers, or buggies.

again, its impossible to satisfy everyone that plays.......over modding maps just kills the purpose IMO.....a few subtle changes is all thats needed, but a little more balance/thought to go into the style everyone plays like.

food for thought ;)

BTW: Tona and i had the funniest damn chase on Bocage ctf last nite......i wish i had fraps running to capture it lol :D :D
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Demonic wrote: April 20th, 2022, 2:05 pm all good bro :D i guess i was thinking along the lines of blue having like a 'mobile health/ammo' hummer, that wondered if Red would benefit from it also....but yeah, it still works all the same :D

as for maps.......i actually had to open up the level folder because i cant remember some of the names :D lol

im not sure if Tobruk was ever CTF.....i didnt mind that map CQ, but i wonder if it could work CTF ?! a few helos on there might make it interesting.

Inshallah valley is what we were on last nite when i made a suggestion of a few more helos added....maybe just not the combative type...either that or bring the flags closer together perhaps ?! its a pretty big map, but a pain in da butt if your in a slow ground vehicle......unless we can add buggies, hummers and pick up trucks :D....or more of them if there are some already there....

Gazala and El Al are fine with me.....they have a good balance, for being a bigger map....urban is also good with me :D

if i can think of others ill post them....
I went through and modded CTF into maps that don't have them.

My modded list includes;

Phili CTF
Caen CTF - I have a decent change for CAEN i'm going to do. It'll improve it 100% :)
Cornered CTF (REALLY NEED TO REDO THIS ONE)
Market CTF
Dustbowl CTF
Britain CTF

Also modded...

Bridge CTF
Kharkov Day 2 CTF
Phili CQ
Bunkers CQ (needs small fix)
Lostvillage CQ (should alter this and fix it)

Basrah Night CQ - Not on server yet. Made this one a drug lord version with spawnpoints in lada and truck for each team. MP5's and VSS only. Probably not the best lol

In the works;

Docks CQ - Finished this today actually.
Urban CQ - Close to done
Urban CTF - clean up jolly version and finish it, since he can't with his hand injury.
Tobruk CTF - I started this didn't know which direction to take it. Still half done.
Aberdeen CTF - Tanks CTF with Turbo Jeeps this one is done, did it a while ago.

There are some others, but just never got around too them. I do a TON of modding, have made over 150 SSM's now if you combine all the mods lol .

Vanilla/SW/RTR/DC/Pirates - 150 + SSMs for Hello Server and EA117.

Throw your ideas up for Tobruk, I could probably whip up a map in 30 mins or so if I know what I'm modding. The hard part is brainstorming ideas, and knowing what will and won't work.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

i would have to fire up Tobruk and kinda get a visual on it......i havent played the map in years....other than remembering it being a lot of open area between mains...was good for tank battles though.

i am curious though, that when you guys mod a map, is it based off " i think this would be good, so i will do it "....." i think the guys would like seeing this on here "......" there needs to be more firepower added to make the map more exciting "

my point being, if a map is over modded or it becomes a 'gimmik' map, its not much fun in the end......over modded being, TOO much firepower added and disrupts the general feel of the map itself........say for example, adding a boat in the lake on LV........its over kill lol

sometimes the most simple adjustments can make all the difference...thats why i have been trying to get other peoples feed back as well.....
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Demonic wrote: May 9th, 2022, 7:16 pm i would have to fire up Tobruk and kinda get a visual on it......i havent played the map in years....other than remembering it being a lot of open area between mains...was good for tank battles though.

i am curious though, that when you guys mod a map, is it based off " i think this would be good, so i will do it "....." i think the guys would like seeing this on here "......" there needs to be more firepower added to make the map more exciting "

my point being, if a map is over modded or it becomes a 'gimmik' map, its not much fun in the end......over modded being, TOO much firepower added and disrupts the general feel of the map itself........say for example, adding a boat in the lake on LV........its over kill lol

sometimes the most simple adjustments can make all the difference...thats why i have been trying to get other peoples feed back as well.....
Yeah my idea on LV needs to go.

I'm totally open to criticism and actually WANT it, most of the time people won't say a word, but leave the server if it's not nas.

I'll UN ruin LV one of these days lmao

Same with cornered. I believe my other maps are pretty well done, especially bridge. Market is also amazing in my opinion, I love it!
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

so after letting all this info sink in a little bit, i cannot help but feel that maps are being modded TOO often....almost like " our numbers are low, it must be because the maps need alterations to keep people interested "....i dont believe that is the cause of numbers being low....we all have RL issues to take care of, and i have seen the numbers drop here but in time they increase.

modding a lot of maps at one time is a double edge sword to me.....yes, it can make for new options ( if done correctly) but it can also be a cause of people not wanting to play here.......meaning, some might be saying " omg, we are being asked to vote for that retarded map again ".....or because its a map modded more in favor of those who like to fly, than those who prefer ground battles...and i have seen the latter occur a fair amount.

so my idea/suggestion is this......instead of all you guys getting into some silent competition of who can make the ultimate mod, we all just focus on one map at a time....try and get feed back off the server......if they speak up in there, we encourage them to come here and put their ideas forward.....fine tune that map.........and THEN move on to a different map.

its important that you modding people understand, that just because you may think your ideas are perfect and you love them, doesnt mean it will be everyones cup of tea.....we do have a mix of old school regs, who enjoy maps as they used to be, and younger people who like the extra bells and whistles......we need to get the folks on the server , who some how find a voice, to get on here instead....make it more of a community project to mod the maps than just the modder themself....
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Demonic wrote: May 10th, 2022, 2:32 pm so after letting all this info sink in a little bit, i cannot help but feel that maps are being modded TOO often....almost like " our numbers are low, it must be because the maps need alterations to keep people interested "....i dont believe that is the cause of numbers being low....we all have RL issues to take care of, and i have seen the numbers drop here but in time they increase.

modding a lot of maps at one time is a double edge sword to me.....yes, it can make for new options ( if done correctly) but it can also be a cause of people not wanting to play here.......meaning, some might be saying " omg, we are being asked to vote for that retarded map again ".....or because its a map modded more in favor of those who like to fly, than those who prefer ground battles...and i have seen the latter occur a fair amount.

so my idea/suggestion is this......instead of all you guys getting into some silent competition of who can make the ultimate mod, we all just focus on one map at a time....try and get feed back off the server......if they speak up in there, we encourage them to come here and put their ideas forward.....fine tune that map.........and THEN move on to a different map.

its important that you modding people understand, that just because you may think your ideas are perfect and you love them, doesnt mean it will be everyones cup of tea.....we do have a mix of old school regs, who enjoy maps as they used to be, and younger people who like the extra bells and whistles......we need to get the folks on the server , who some how find a voice, to get on here instead....make it more of a community project to mod the maps than just the modder themself....
I was creating CTF modes for maps that don't exist otherwise. I don't think that is a negative thing.

People liked Caen, Phili, and Market no doubt.

To add CTF to maps you have to do "Extra" modding that is above and beyond a normal SSM.

We are not modding too much, and variety and changing things up every once in a while, is good. That is what we are doing. Whenever I ask for feedback on the forum, rarely anyone replies other than the usual 5. Then I ran Market CTF "new mod" for the first time during an event and everyone loved it and we hit 30+ ppl on it... so it seems that it's positive more than negative.

Bridge CTF was never touched until I modded it, the map was almost impossible to capture a flag on. Now it is functional and a decent amount of people enjoy it.

However, I agree that some mods certainly miss.

My cornered mod was absolute garbage. I'll be the first one to say it, it's fun to mess around 5v5 or less on it. But overall 5/10. (as my first ssm though). MY LV CQ is awful lmao, and I will probably ask Trench to replace it with original, or I can redo it. 3/10.

We've never even played my dustbowl CTF I don't think, so I dunno how ppl will take that one.

I think having me go through the non CTF maps and adding them a decent CTF mode is beneficial to the server. More options to play, and something that doesn't come with the mod outright. Most of them have been hits, and for the effort needed, I'm happy with the results. Had to waste at least 10 hours of Trench's time moving PrinceOW spawns, and Carrier spawns around in server files for some of my mods :) ...

Overall, it is good ;)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Demonic wrote: May 10th, 2022, 2:32 pm so after letting all this info sink in a little bit, i cannot help but feel that maps are being modded TOO often....
I'll agree with that.

There lies the problem... no feedback. This is an age old problem with every server. Not even mods... we'll hear whining about the map that comes up and once we ask "what do you want to play then?", crickets. We just don't get much feedback so modding is mostly guesswork.
Change logs are also not provided to let players know what has been done so they know that "crappy" map coming up has been modded.
viewtopic.php?t=6479
BUT...

its important that you modding people understand, that just because you may think your ideas are perfect and you love them, doesnt mean it will be everyones cup of tea.....
... go to page 7 of this thread. While small, I posted some direct requests from players. They are small and subtle changes that our player base has asked for. But, as soon as someone wants to mod and I mention this small list, it becomes ignored for a map overhaul. I may be a choosing beggar as I am capable of making these changes but have not, but I do support your overall point on modding.
I modded Docks CTF according to requests too, just small additions of moving 50s and adding boats plus . Sounds like that is being written over? KISS right?

Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

i totally understand how it works with some people on the server.....i have seen it first hand when some of you admins have asked "what map next" and dead silence.....wish i had a solution for that one lol.

so why not ask a specific person on the server instead ?.....maybe like Otto, Spin, or who ever might respond....if they dont then its admins choice....it used to be done like that back in the day.....it kind of gives a person a chance to play a map that suits their style, rather than being dragged in to playing one they may not care for...

now if others agree that TOO much modding is going on, then as i suggested, why not we all focus on just one map at a time......let people know during a round if they want to help with suggestions, to get their butts on here.....at least then, WE know we have tried to include them in helping a favorite map be more enjoyable or with slight changes.....that way they cant complain because they didnt like a certain map.

i am well aware its never going to be a simple fix or solution.....what i am trying to bring to light and avoid is a " hey guys, modded this map...tell me what you think"........." oh, and then i have this one also"........." and after that i have this one as well"........so on and so on....
we are not test subjects......we play for enjoyment.......but one at a time (if it can be done that way) will not be so over whelming..

i left the server early tonight, because having 2 howitzers on a CTF map, over looking either flag ?......camp fest.....but thats just my opinion..

and before anyone starts suggesting im downing the efforts in the modding being done, lol im not....its just constructive input from a long time reg...i am seeing a very clear difference between the " lets try and mod the maps with moderate adjustments "......to " this mod is all about me ".....
BROTHERS IN ARMS
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

FYI, El Alamein may appear to look like, "This mod is all about tona"...hint: it is a total helo map, but it was actually a gift for Rye

~ tona
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

lol Tona.....i forgot that Rye was a helo whore :D ( or whore in general ;) ) but to me, it is a totally different circumstance...
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

I would agree with the “too much modding going on” if it was for maps that already existed…

Me creating game modes for maps that don’t have them, is not too much modding. It’s basically creating a whole new map. A bunch liked my mods.

Now if We were to go remod EVERY map that is already on the server then that’s a no go. Lol.

However I’m mostly adding CTF to the maps that don’t have it. Like I stated above, this is beneficial in most cases, and yes some sucked, but I was just starting out with SSM and hadn’t had all the tricks I do now. Adding a game mode is different than modifying an existing one.

I’ve made over 150 SSM’s between Vanilla/RTR/SW/Pirates/DC, so I have tons of tricks to use now.

I’m going to go back and re mod a few of the crappy ones since they no gud. 🤣
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I heard there was this one map that retains population pretty much no matter how many times it's replayed...tryna remember the name. All this German beer has got me fuzzy...
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

When i get a little time, ill send you some ideas i have for El AL, Tona bro :D and possibly a couple of others ;)
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

BlinkofanEye wrote: May 12th, 2022, 12:57 pm I heard there was this one map that retains population pretty much no matter how many times it's replayed...tryna remember the name. All this German beer has got me fuzzy...
It's clearly Operation Bragg CQ with 7 players... ? No?
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

I am amazed i havent seen a flying aircraft carrier on Al Nas yet lol...or even the C 130 lol :D :33:
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

ive told bang a million times that it needs apaches with a 30 foot flight ceiling...

HRD: Removed political statement which triggers another user. Not the place for such talk.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

thanks all for the lively discussion.

in general, as tempting as it is to talk in terms of broad statements and principles, in practice i find it most productive to speak in specifics.

as in, what is it about current maps, and mods of maps, we do or do not like, and what is our constructive feedback on how we'd like them to change?
_Roadie
United States of America

Post by _Roadie »

Take the following as coming from an Ol' Goat recently returned to BF/DC after a long hiatus.....

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.

-- One objective as I see it, is to increase and keep up the population of the server.

-- Keep the mods Server-Side (SSM). Players do not like to download maps. Back in the day they didn't, and I can't imagine that has changed much. (Anyone remember UnHoly?)

-- The challenge is to get input from the players. Always something of a tough task at times.

Here's a suggestion from something we did back in the day. Might work here.
(Rather like how the creative design process works in RL.)
In the forums we created a Mods Feature section asking what folks what they wanted to see changed, added, fixed, etc.
Then in that section we placed 'stickys' for each individual map.
Each map segregated - kept it clear and concise and made it easier on the Modder to follow.
Folks then posted their desires (which of course were immediately dismissed :D ) and we'd try to implement those suggestions.
And if the Modder thought of something cool and added it, they could then ask for feedback in a post that is directly related to that map only.

The other thing would be (if possible) is that the first post should list the changes/enhancements that have been made to said map.
That would give the added benefit in that newcomers could hit the forum and read up on how the map is changed instead of stumbling around trying to figure out what all is changed and how it functions.
(Take me tonight on Boacge_Day2, I didn't catch on to where the flags were moved to...)

As mentioned above, bell & whistles are needed for the younger crowd, the ol' goats, yeah well........

The trick with BF/DC maps for CTF is to keep them balanced, rather tough given how the maps are laid out.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Feed back for Jolly......adding more stuff messes the balance of the map...just because you can add extra planes, boats in lakes etc, doesnt mean it will work........lately, i have been seeing some the maps ending up looking like a George Lucas spoof, after he added all the extra CGI to the original star wars movies ( i am sure you have all seen the fun that was made of him doing that )
simple and small changes can make all the difference......as small as relocating a spawn flag somewhere else than its original position.....or even the main base........adding extra items, has made it into a camp fest or points whoring fest.....totally destroying the feel of a map.
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Dogema

Post by Dogema »

Would we be able to add more weapons in the maps? Skorpions, AK's and M16 without grenade launcher, etc. Always looking for a new way to dispatch the enemies. I enjoyed the silenced AK-74 in Bang's modded maps.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

That is a pretty simple request that doesn't vastly change the map dynamic Dogema, I like it.

Our modding department is going to be down for a little bit but I'm putting a pin on this one.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Lets add the "Golden Gun" it worked for Bond.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed