Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Battlefield 2042 Portal

Post by Trench »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QypWGkr7diY

So.... hmmmmmmm.

On the one hand, it will be the newer game, with all the higher complexity, options and hardware requirements.

On the other hand, it does sound like there is a path to say "I want to take one of the classic Battlefield 1942 maps, take away all the 1942-era equipment and players, replace them with 2000-era equipment and players, and run this as my server."

I don't know, though. It still feels like I'm being "baited" by the mention of Battlefield 1942. When ultimately, any of the gameplay is still going to be exactly what the game is able to offer even in its non-1942-emulating modes.

Meaning the options allowed through Portal seem to be solving a problem that could be described as "This new version of Battlefield would be fun to play, if only the map on which all this was happening was El Alamein." And I don't think that's really been the problem.

e.g. If you didn't like how the helo or M1A1 operated in Battlefield 3 "on a map that didn't look like El Alamein", why are we going to like it now when making that pairing on a map that is now El Alamein.

But, they are trying to do something.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Battlefield 2042 Portal

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I don't know where DC falls nowadays with the ability to put it in a game like this or not. But if EA could slip it in I would not be surprised to see...

Base game $70
Unlock Nas, LV, Gaz map pack $9.99
Unlock 50 cal sniper $7.99
Unlock CTF mode $14.99
.... because EA.

But, modern 4k bulge and el al with destruction and weather sounds pretty cool and it sounds like they're essentially putting modding on easy mode.
The easy scripting might be interesting.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

"A high-res version of Desert Combat", from EA's perspective, is what they've been giving us in Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. I don't think we can expect EA to believe "we haven't already delivered on that." We just don't like it as much as we like Desert Combat. And still won't, even with this current incarnation, unless something just feels really really different when we play the latest version.

So yeah, you're right, it is what they would do with it. Because it's what they already did with it.

Absolutely agree though, that from a game feature design perspective, the flexibility and "ease of use" this is showing for how to setup a server with the behavior you want seems like it's going to be pretty amazing.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I believe the only two maps from 1942.

Are El AL, and Battle of the Bulge.

It's funny to think about the fact that most of the players that will pick up a copy of "2042"...

Have no clue that Battlefield 1942 exists. Some of my peers whenever they had asked well hey what do you play or whatever.. In High school, middle ... all that.. I say some older classic games and mainly Battlefield 1942. They instantly go "oh the one on Xbox?"

They haven't the slightest clue about anything pre BF3. Pretty sad, as I cannot play anything after 2142, except BF1. I thought they did an excellent job with Battlefield 1, and thus I went and got a used Xbox 1 and have that game only for it.

I just love the abilities that the early battlefields gave you. You could make mods. Customize your maps via SSM's. Make custom maps with the map editors.. new games just don't give you that freedom. Nowadays the premium passes are like 50$ on top of the game which is already 60$ to start out..

I bought BF1 for 3 dollars 5 months ago preowned at a game stop lol. Then used a promo code for 3 months free xbox live. Then paid for the "out dated" premium pass for 8 dollars to unlock all the content. So 10 bucks and I can play all that 5 years after the release date. If I was to get 2042 when it comes out... were talking 100$ for everything. Waste of money. Until 3-5 years down the line.

I will be the LAST player on Desert Combat in the World. I'll be like 87, own the master server by then... fire up the server and have 1 player on! lol.

1942 till death... my generation thinks I'm crazy.. but it's THE BEST game that was ever made for FPS. Godfather of PC FPS gaming.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Neat...my computer could never run it but neat...

...but will it have the feature of an admin announcing every 20 minutes that they're going for a smoke break? Because that's the real, raw BF experience.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:30 pm If I was to get 2042 when it comes out... were talking 100$ for everything. Waste of money.
That is where the shitty new business models come from though, consumers not wanting to pay full price.
When I was 10, I paid $60 and got the entire Playstation or N64 game I purchased.
At 32, I pay $60 and I get the base game. But then there are x amount of DLC at $x a piece or a season pass, and a fee to play online sometimes, and fees to unlock this and that...

I can appreciate that it costs more to produce a game than it did 20+ years ago plus it costs money to host servers and transfer insane amounts of data for online play on modern detailed games, but raise the goddamn price and just give me the game in its entirety off the bat.

BlinkofanEye wrote: July 25th, 2021, 12:40 pm ...but will it have the feature of an admin announcing every 20 minutes that they're going for a smoke break? Because that's the real, raw BF experience.
I mean, one could probably have that pop up as a server message?
Trench, if I die tomorrow I want to be immortalized as grey text.
"Hairy Russian Dude: brb smoke break"
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

An AI can't do what you do, c'mon, give yourself more credit. Those puffs are diff-i-cult
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:30 pm Are El AL, and Battle of the Bulge.
Indeed. And, "so far."

BlinkofanEye wrote: July 25th, 2021, 12:40 pm ...but will it have the feature of an admin announcing every 20 minutes that they're going for a smoke break? Because that's the real, raw BF experience.
I think what the Battlefield 2042 Portal is going to do is allow us to make sure your deathcam view always switches to the idle admin's player standing in a corner.

And plays some peppy instrumental 70's elevator music as you wait to spawn.

In the foreground, the admin player's idle animations will be casually swinging his rifle or knife and looking around cluelessly, while in the background you can see your team getting decimated by being down a player.

At least that's how I'd use it.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Hope they have a "Turn off SMAW whores" button too..
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

BlinkofanEye wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:04 pm Hope they have a "Turn off SMAW whores" button too..
and pk ho and the infamous clan of stinger hos

Many of these features were discussed years ago (by server owners and modders) as options in Desert Combat, particularly the weather...could you imagine tanks bogged down in mud...aircraft being grounded because of severe weather...days turning into nights...soldiers being able to dig a foxhole and smoke weed.

~ tona
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

I think the animalization feature will be a hit as well.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:49 pm I think the animalization feature will be a hit as well.
But that isn't real...

~ tona
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Trench wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:56 pm
I think what the Battlefield 2042 Portal is going to do is allow us to make sure your deathcam view always switches to the idle admin's player standing in a corner.

And plays some peppy instrumental 70's elevator music as you wait to spawn.

In the foreground, the admin player's idle animations will be casually swinging his rifle or knife and looking around cluelessly, while in the background you can see your team getting decimated by being down a player.

At least that's how I'd use it.
I feel like you're trying to tell me something here...
"Hairy, we just can't win without you!"
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

tonawandares wrote: July 25th, 2021, 6:46 pm
BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:49 pm I think the animalization feature will be a hit as well.
But that isn't real...

~ tona
BD will explain..