Battle of Britain CTF

Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Battle of Britain CTF

Post by Trench »

The current parachute spawns worked as a "last ditch trying to stop the flag capture", but at least in the "low numbers mode" we were playing, didn't really offer any great offensive capability that couldn't be immediately squashed.

It felt like maybe there needed to be "a small equipment location", maybe only three helos and a couple humvees each, situated on the same side of the ocean as the enemy flag. (Not "right next to" the enemy airfield, but there are suitable locations on both sides of the ocean, roughly the same distance from the flag.) Such that the trip with a stolen flag is still the same long trip across the ocean, but the helos trying to chase you, or the helos putting pressure on your main, could be coming from closer than that. Just reducing the number of "there is absolutely nothing you can do about that" situations.

I also wonder if allowing the enemy to spawn allowing both teams to spawn at these same "small equipment locations" might make it "fair" that to defend your main, you might also spawn to the alternate location the enemy might come from that is close to your main. Maybe just having a humvee able to drive over to the "small equipment locations" would be sufficient, though.

The German plane definitely felt like "too much" at least to me. It was circling our main and then leaving with our flag, and in both cases there was just no speed the helo could do that let me catch up or fire on it. Don't know if they both just need to be B17s, or if we can make the German plane's characteristics the same as the B17. But when it's a "no other planes" map (which seems right), the plane we're able to find at each flag main should be similar rather than so different. And ideally something the provided helos actually have a chance against.

If you end up liking the "small equipment location" idea, maybe something else that would work is having humvees/pickups near the parachute spawn locations. Giving a flag jumper "some chance" of getting away with the flag, other that trying to walk into the middle of the enemy main. IF they can get to a car, and IF they can drive all the way to the "small equipment location", and IF they can get up in a helo from there.

Maybe those vehicles near the parachute spawn would work regardless of whether the "small equipment locations" are created; giving the flag jumper some way to move around rather than just walking. Driving to where a teammate has landed rather than "swoop from exactly where the flag is" being the only option, because the otherwise the flag carrier dies on the 1/2 mile walk to get anywhere.

FFS made mention of the parachute spawn height; I believe he was saying that it should be higher, to give more time to do offensive things without already being on the ground where you are easily picked off. Maybe at least "some" of the parachute spots could be raised? Leave some where they are, but some might spawn higher? Or maybe all higher, and no auto-chute; so that you could HALO into the enemy main itself, or choose to go to the flag, or choose to pop the chute high and try to stop a flag capture.

Just the ideas that came to mind after playing it "once". Maybe after a couple more times it will be clearer which ones might be good versus "too much".
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: Battle of Britain CTF

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Okay I totally understand the idea here.

What we could do is on the axis side, there’s the houses and small village way east of the main. We can have an American outpost with land vehicles and a few helos. Originally I had this in my SSM but thought it’d be better to not have it. I’m cool either way.

Then on the allied side of the map I could make the other empty airfield the axis outpost with land vehicles and a few helos. Could scrap the para spawns all together, and try it with the “outpost” approach.

Or instead of two spawn points at your main, I make one of those the outpost spawn, keep one spawn point for the main, and then be able to keep the offensive para spawn, but make them a tad higher like FFS mentioned.

Although on the bombers… I personally like having the only map with the Ju88a bomber… to actually have that in the map. I know it’s DC, however we have ww2 aircraft in a few other maps as well.

As a compromise I could give both sides the Ju88a to even any disadvantage either side had.

Also to be fair we have to test it with more than a handful first, then we can change these things once we get a little more feedback.

Good ideas though Trench. 😄
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Agree "the other empty airfield" on Allied vs "the village which is about that same distance away from Axis main" (since there were two to choose from) are what I was thinking too.

Unless we don't have enough spawns, maybe leaving the current parachute spawns but "at their current less-effective height" (i.e. don't improve them) in addition to the outpost would be good. i.e. You could paraspawn to try and save your flag from being captured, but you'll be naked in an open field. Or you can spawn at your outpost to have some equipment to try and save your flag, but its going to take you longer to get to the flag pole. But at least not "a trip across the entire ocean", which will never be successful. (Unless Brain Damage decided to take a boat.)

"Both sides with a Ju88" would at least be something, but the fact it "has no opposition unless it's still on the ground" (at least to my way of looking at it) would make B17 the better choice. i.e. If there are only helos and not jets and fighters, then the big plane ought to be something helos can productively chase and engage? Especially on CTF? My $0.02 anyway. Can we just change attributes of the Ju88 to give it the airspeed characteristics of the B17? That would be something that addresses the concern but keeps the Ju88, too.

It however you want the map to be. And certainly no urgency as we haven't seen how it reacts here under more players.

These changes in my mind are "to make it so that there is more active fighting over the flag up to the point it's captured", rather than "if it's able to get off the airfield" (especially in a Ju88), it's 99% already gone even though the cap won't happen for another minute. Making the reduction of work for the enemy to appear at your main prepared for a fight (rather than "only that which has made an ocean voyage") I hope would raise the bar on the action. Rather than having what I consider to be "lulls" either when the flag is taken and/or no one has made it across the ocean yet.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

wait is there a BoB CTF beta?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Yes, BangBangOw created CTF SSMs of Liberation of Caen, Invasion of the Philippines, and Battle of Brittan. All currently on the server.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

dope!