Ergonomics

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Ergonomics

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I'm 38. When I was, I dunno, 24 or so, I fell 100' out of a tree and fractured three vertebrae (including 2 compression fractures) -- among other things (also broke ribs and crushed my lungs...but I still walked a 1/2 mile back to camp with amnesia, haha!) I healed well; I was young. Didn't do PT or anything. Just bed rest and having hot women at the commune sponge bathe me.

Fast forward ten or so years and I started having back problems, I think mainly because I was way overdoing it on: writing a book, gaming a ton, working at a job on the computer...and then, the straw that broke the camel's back...working on a farm AND chopping wood for winter. First it was pinched nerves in my neck and a pinched cervical spine. Had a back surgery I'm not sure I even needed. Then, all healed up, next year at wood cutting time (racing the wood splitter with my Fiskars) I threw out my lower back/SI joint.

Amidst all of this I was still finishing that book, playing too much DC, and trying like hell to figure out how I could be on the computer and not hurt myself. Learned a ton of stuff, including about muscle imbalances and how to remedy them, about common misconceptions with tendinitis/tendinosis, and...I bought a ton of shit off Amazon. $400 concave ergo keyboards, $250 roller bar mouse, ergo mice, trackpad, Staples mesh chair, Amazon gaming chair, $350 saddle stool, made a standing desk, made my own chair with armrests I bolted on, arm-rests that bolted onto the desk, laptop stands, about 15 different keyboard variations, and a whole bunch of exercises/stretches/surgeries/injections. Phew...

But now..after making my own desk setup and buying juuuust a couple more chairs with my dwindling sugar momma funds :) I have finally landed on something that actually facking works. Check this shit out....I'll post a vid soon.
chair (Small).jpg
Chair is called a Steelcase Gesture. It retails for just under $1200 (more for a headrest) and is just facking dope. I spent a ton of time researching chairs lately (there's actually an entire office chairs subreddit lol) and was drawn to this one because of the smoothness of it's recline function (so I can fidget and kinda rock)...but mostly for it's *ARMS*. This bitch has adjustable arms like no other chair. A small subset of chairs have 4d arms, which means the arms can go up, and the armrests can pivot, slide forward/backward, and side to side. But these go a step forward and allow you basically full motion control of arms, going both lower and higher than other chairs so your arms can actually raise to the height where you can read a book or use a smartphone and not slouch.

Chair of course has a lot of other features, like the seat pan can slide forward or backwards, chair goes up and down, and you can set tilt positions/tilt tension. And it has a fancy lumbar cushioning system that works in conjunction with the above settings so you can kinda decide how much pressure is on your back. I find that in this chair I have a more active but relaxed seating position than other chairs. I'm definitely relaxed, but I'm also kind of holding myself up against the back of the chair.

The armrests are also super fun, because whenever I feel like adjusting my position (you can easily sit cross legged, or even indian style in this chair) I can just quickly push the arms into a different arrangement and have some variety of sitting. My only complaint is that the arms' vertical position only operates on preset set points, and sometimes I feel like what I want to be level with my kb/mouse is right in between those points.

$1000+ chair, got it for $400 plus tax at a local liquidator. Only downside I've noticed so far is a light 2" smudge and I think I put that on it on the ride home in the hatchback....lol

Now I gotta get rid of some of these other chairs in my 10 x 12 man-shed:
chairs (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Ergonomics

Post by Trench »

If you needed a chair and you're not going to buy an EA117 chair, I... I just don't know what we're doing here any more...
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Lol touche. My chair could beat that chair up though. With it's pivoting arms. It'd give that fancy pants $5000 chair the people's elbow.
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)
    BangBangOw<CP*SF>
    United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I guess it makes sense since you have back issues.

My sciatic nerve sometimes acts up so I understand the pinched nerve problem. It’ll be fine one minute, but one wrong move and 10/10 pain … and then it’s gone in 1 second and you just sit there debating life.

Glad you found something that caters to your health.

$400 is a bit much for a chair in my books. I found my current chair at a sale from a big insurance firm. They were closing this big 7 story building and had just about 1 of everything “office”. Got this chair for $50 and have used it for three years. Gotz me moneyz worth I tink.
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

What kinda chair bang bang? I'm a chair nerd at this point...Yeah big firms can spend $1k on a chair and then just give it away...crazy the amount of money changing hands...or kinda not I guess. Mayo clinic had about $6,000,000 in chairs by my very rough estimation, lol
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)
    Trench
    Admin
    Admin
    United States of America

Post by Trench »

Someone in our neighborhood is selling one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1KSMZ3/ So of course I thought about checking with our resident chair nerd to see how well it compared.

But I lost interested after seeing the "4D arm rests", and the Amazon customer question from someone who accidentally moved theirs into the fourth dimension and was unable to retrieve them. I don't need those kind of space-time continuum hassles.
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Hard to tell wtf is going on with that chair trench. The Amazon page is pretty suspect. The product image is a different chair (one that actually looks a lot like mine) than all of the customer images...4d armrests get my vote, if the chair actually has them. The think about budget knock-offs (which this chair seems to be one) is that they generally have way less quality and adjustability than the thing they're copying. But you could always try it out...who knows.
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Also...what are they selling the chair for used? Looks like it originally went for $300...which isn't worth it when you can get a Steelcase or Herman Miller used for around that price (chairs designed to last 20+ years.) But if it's only 100-150$, couldn't hurt to try, if only to find out what you actually need, and then resell it.
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)
    [-UG-] Maj. MoFo

Post by [-UG-] Maj. MoFo »

Watch out for that black hole behind you, Blinko, as you enter the fourth dimension. Don’t want to fall down to deck one.
    Trench
    Admin
    Admin
    United States of America

Post by Trench »

BlinkofanEye wrote: October 26th, 2021, 11:58 pm Also...what are they selling the chair for used? Looks like it originally went for $300...
    Was at $100 and then went down to $70. They only provided a single picture of the actual chair, but I think it's the one the Amazon listing actually shows:

image.png

As opposed to the pictures in the Amazon reviews, which shows a different style of armrest.

But I was mainly poking fun at the 4-D armrest concept. I don't really need another chair. Mine isn't too fancy, but it'll do. The one you can see over in the System Specs thread.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

$70? Hey, it would at the very least hold down loose floorboards at that price. Hell, you could carve "NIN" into it or something...
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)