cant find server followed instructions

zanshin1

cant find server followed instructions

Post by zanshin1 »

hi can you add me to the server list......
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: cant find server followed instructions

Post by Trench »

Hey zanshin,

If you're trying to play from the same machine / same IP address where you posted this message from, everything seems like it should already be enabled for you to connect. If you actually posted from your phone or some other machine, go to the machine you're actually going to play from and use http://ea117.com/access to send a "Contact Us" and we'll make sure it's the same IP address and no problem.

Is it possibly just an issue of "can't find the server in the list" because the list is broken/empty? What happens if you manually "Add Server" and type in 51.81.48.241 or dc.ea117.com and then use the "Join" button to connect, without relying on the server to show up in the list? That will be testing the difference between "I can't connect" versus "I just can't get the server to show in the list."

Looks like maybe it's been more than a year since you connected, too. So make sure the move-specific information at http://ea117.com/moved isn't what's happening to you. e.g. An older EA117 entry marked "favorite" isn't preventing the current EA117 server entry from updating in your list.

Let us know what you find so that we can help get you back in here!

-Trench
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

hi

i dont have game on this comp....cant find cds.....was going to use old rig to fire it up.....will send from there...was there a no cd install?

thanks
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

zanshin1 wrote: January 11th, 2022, 8:40 am was there a no cd install?
viewtopic.php?t=6302
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

zanshin1 wrote: January 11th, 2022, 8:40 am hi

i dont have game on this comp....cant find cds.....was going to use old rig to fire it up.....will send from there...was there a no cd install?

thanks
Copy of Game with working Multiplayer: http://team-simple.org/download/Battlefield_1942.zip

Desert Combat 0.7: https://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-comba ... -combat-07

DC Final Update: https://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-comba ... nal-update

Three clicks and boom you’re in 😄
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

hi,

i tried "couldnt download-network issue" whatever that means...
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

zanshin1 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:26 pm hi,

i tried "couldnt download-network issue" whatever that means...
To which download are you referring too?

Sometimes the antivirus will prevent downloads, so you have to go in an allow it.

My Laptop will block the ModDB downloads of DC 0.7/Final, I have to manually allow it and "keep" the files...

The Team Simple Installer has never given me that error...?

Let me know what you're referring to and I can help. :)
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

was able too, not now//?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Trench wrote: January 10th, 2022, 10:46 pm What happens if you manually "Add Server" and type in 51.81.48.241 or dc.ea117.com and then use the "Join" button to connect, without relying on the server to show up in the list? That will be testing the difference between "I can't connect" versus "I just can't get the server to show in the list."
I'm still not seeing a description of the results for what happened when you tried the troubleshooting steps described earlier.

I have double-checked any of the networks being intentionally blocked at the server, and can still confirm that yours is not among them.

Let's do this, though: Try and connect to the EA117 server again, using the "Join" method described above or whichever method you think is supposed to work, maybe two or three times. And then let us know approximately what time of day you made your connection attempts that failed. Ideally, do this at a time when no one else is actually on the server, such that yours would have been the only connections at the time.

I'm leaving a LAN trace running at the server. Once we know when to look for your connection attempts, that should confirm for us whether the connection attempts are coming from something other than the expected IP address. Or, whether there simply isn't any connection attempt at all from the server's perspective. (Meaning something dropped your connection attempt before it ever reached us, or the connection attempt wasn't to our server's IP address.)
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

weird, now its working.....i was in earlier last week, but last night .....couldnt connect to server...
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Indeed, the LAN trace confirms the server responding to your game client immediately upon the very first packet. As we would expect for the server not having your address blocked or anything like that.

Are you maybe "sometimes" also using a VPN on this machine for other purposes? As described in the http://ea117.com/access page, VPNs would be intentionally blocked. Otherwise, I'm left to guess that something about the ISP you're using, or maybe even something software or firewall related near your computer, has some condition under which the UDP connection traffic gets dropped.

I'll leave the LAN trace running for a few days, just in case tonight or later in the week you end up seeing the same problem again. Same as before, let us know as soon as you can what time of day your connection attempt occurred, and we'll look for what happened with the connection attempt from your IP address (if we can even even see there was one).
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

hi

i just tried 10:30 est......."failed to connect to server"

its the same comp ive been using for 5 years...maybe longer.....i dont do anything with it but emails and word docs....surf the internet...

i go to add server....the number comes up and i hit join......if i hit ok, "could not find requested server" comes up
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

That's weird... it's our problem.

I see both your game traffic (UDP 14567) and query traffic (UDP 23000) inbound, but our server never responds to it. Which the game itself wouldn't be doing that, so it does mean the firewall is doing that for some reason. And not OVH's firewall or our ISP's firewall, but the firewall on the server itself... because the LAN trace is showing me the traffic arrived all the way to our server.

Nothing changed at the server. Our intentional blocks were still in the same state as when you successfully connected earlier. But for some reason there was no response to any of your requests tonight. UDP header checksums look good, so no reason the TCP stack itself would have dropped them that I can see. So that still just leaves the firewall.

I'll try rebuilding some of the rulesets tomorrow, and we'll see if it's any different for you tomorrow night. Just really strange that an "unintentional block" is somehow singling you out, versus everyone else who is still successfully connecting to the server.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Trench wrote: January 31st, 2022, 10:53 pm Just really strange that an "unintentional block" is somehow singling you out, versus everyone else who is still successfully connecting to the server.
Finally realized what was unique about your connection attempts that failed vs. other "normal" attempts. Without going into detail, it does have to do with one of the layers implemented to mitigate denial of service attacks ever since August 2020.

I've made an adjustment which should prevent your address from being affected as it has been up until now. If you still end up seeing an intermittent "unable to connect" result, again let us know the specific time and day so that we can look at the evidence and investigate further.

Thanks for providing the info, and hopefully now you're finally seeing a more consistent success.

-Trench
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

COOL, THANKS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Trench is da master of connection issues and server safety.

🙏🏻