Interesting read...

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Demonic
Australia

Interesting read...

Post by Demonic »

i found this and thought others might want to give it a read......its all about the fine gentlemen who created the DC mod and their plans and ideas they had for it during the time it was being made...

https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/01/21/desert-combat
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Dogema

Re: Interesting read...

Post by Dogema »

Cool find Demonic. Thought there were a few interesting parts such as the ability to fly the SCUD. That would be awesome! And the good old days of 1000 people playing a day. Would have been nice if they could have worked out all the maps they wanted.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Indeed....makes you wonder what other goodies they had in the wings, that never made it to the final cut..but having control over a scud mid flight would have been kewl......i remember in UT99 ( where the idea of controlling a scud mid flight came from ), you could shoot down the Redeemer as it was called.....i would hope they could have done the same with a scud.

But their final product, if you will, is perfectly balanced IMO.....just enough to satisfy both teams, but not over kill with vehicles, that 1 team clearly had the advantage....it all just comes down to how they are used :D
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Demonic wrote: June 10th, 2022, 4:22 pm Indeed....makes you wonder what other goodies they had in the wings, that never made it to the final cut..but having control over a scud mid flight would have been kewl......i remember in UT99 ( where the idea of controlling a scud mid flight came from ), you could shoot down the Redeemer as it was called.....i would hope they could have done the same with a scud.

But their final product, if you will, is perfectly balanced IMO.....just enough to satisfy both teams, but not over kill with vehicles, that 1 team clearly had the advantage....it all just comes down to how they are used :D
The controlled scud would’ve been over kill lolz.

You could’ve just fired from anywhere and destroy the main base every time 🤣.

The tomahawk missile from the destroyer is nicely done, other than it doesn’t register the kills as much, more just “BangBangOw is no more”…
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Unless they put a limit on its range and splash damage.....it would force it to move closer to a target......the freaking SA3 is bad enough, with people camping main with it lol....i miss flying the 'Deemer', in both UT99 and 2003-4.....i would fly it close to the ground, so it was harder to spot. >:)
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Demonic wrote: June 10th, 2022, 5:36 pm Unless they put a limit on its range and splash damage.....it would force it to move closer to a target......the freaking SA3 is bad enough, with people camping main with it lol....i miss flying the 'Deemer', in both UT99 and 2003-4.....i would fly it close to the ground, so it was harder to spot. >:)
I don’t know the “deemer”, but yes I agree maybe shorten the range.

Regarding the SA-3, I always like a long respawn time on it, because you can camp pretty heavily on maps like el al or whatever.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

The 'Deemer', or Redeemer, was a mobile nuke launcher you could pick up in only 1 spot....while you were controlling it, you were open for attack if someone saw you......if i recall correctly, you could fly it into the ground for it to explode, or use a secondary key to detonate it slightly higher than ground level.....it had unlimited fuel, which made it more a pain, but it flew slow enough, you could shoot it down.....but because i flew NAP of the earth with it, you could use the terrain to cover where it was until it was to late >:)
BROTHERS IN ARMS