please let me know

thanks
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: fail to connect to server

Post by Trench »

Thanks for letting us know Zanshin. I've gone ahead and left a LAN trace running on the server, to see what happens during a time period you say you tried to connect in the near future.

Your current IP address (the one you're posting this message from) is definitely not blocked or banned, so I'm guessing the issue is the same as back in February 2022 where your system is just using a very low origin port number for its connections. If that's the issue, or it's some other issue, we should see it in the LAN trace.

So go ahead and give it another go whenever you can, and let us know approximate time and time zone so we can be sure to look at the correct portion of the trace.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Hi,

I guess it solved itself.....Im in now..

Thanks
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Yeah, that's kind of how it was last time back in February 2022, too.

The system you're on (or maybe even the ISP you're coming through) ends up using "low port numbers" as the source port for the UDP communication to the game server. The source port is what's referred to as an ephemeral port (temporary port) allocated and used only for as long as its needed. Usually system services are using ports down in the 1000 range, and applications (like the game) would start high at 50,000 or 60,000 or so and work backwards.

But in your case, even applications are using low ports closer to the 1000 range, rather than high port numbers in the 50,000 or 60,000 range. If that number is very low, close to 1000, your game traffic will get caught up and blocked by "system services should not be trying to communicate to the game server" actions that firewall and DDoS protection performs.

These port numbers are available and used just "at random", so when you just happen to get a source port number assigned by your TCP/IP stack which is close to 1000, it fails. And when you try again and just happen to get a port number that's a little higher (even though it's still not in the 50,000 or 60,000 range), it's fine. The connection you successfully made just now used a port number that was sufficiently higher, and it worked.

I already have a rule in for your address that tries to open this as much as possible in specifically your case. Unfortunately low port numbers in the 1000 range are a key part of DDoS detection and protection, so its not that such traffic can be simply "allowed in all cases" or anything like that.