BF1942 Bugfix for White bars across menu, no sliders, no keyboard in menu, no crosshair

Need help?
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

BF1942 Bugfix for White bars across menu, no sliders, no keyboard in menu, no crosshair

Post by BlinkofanEye »

When I went from my 14 year old 2nd gen i5 Elitebook to a modern gaming laptop (AMD Ryzen 7 + Nvidia RTX 4060 + Windows 11) I encountered a bug that involved the following:

-white bars at the top and bottom of menu screen
-keyboard did not work in menu screen (but did in-game)
-no sliders in menu screen
-no crosshair in game

The game was still playable but settings were very difficult to change, and no crosshair was kind of a deal-breaker. I found the following webpage (in German, but right click in Chrome and click translate) of a guy having the exact same problems. He associated with RX 5000 series graphics cards, but due to my setup that seems unrelated.

https://bf42.de.tl/BF42-Tipps-und-Hilfe.htm

I used his first fix, which involved downloading two files linked off that page, and placing them in my bf1942 home directory. Problem solved.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: BF1942 Bugfix for White bars across menu, no sliders, no keyboard in menu, no crosshair

Post by Trench »

Sounds good. I've heard others who were using or recommending the dgVoodoo-related solution for various problems.

Which is what the download you're linking to provides a subset of: It looks like they've taken the DirectX 8 wrapper DLL from dgVoodoo and provided a dgVoodoo.conf file for it to read, to provide better or fixed emulation of DirectX 8 on your machine. By placing that in your game folder, the game thinks its loading DirectX 8, but it's actually loading the dgVoodoo shim, which is able to emulate that to the DirectX 1x.x available on your machine better or differently than Microsoft and your video card driver would have already done it.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Re: BF1942 Bugfix for White bars across menu, no sliders, no keyboard in menu, no crosshair

Post by BlinkofanEye »

iN oThEr WoRdS YoUrE SaYiNg Im A H4x0r
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Be warned, if you install this fix on a computer that doesn't need it, it can SEVERELY hamper performance. Since I ditched other games for DC again, I got an old Thinkpad T480 and have been having a hell of a time getting it to not overheat playing DC. Underclocking, new thermal paste, new thermal pad, limiting CPU boost clock....turns out it was this dgvoodoo thing basically making my computer render everything twice. The moment I deleted these files everything became butter smooth again and my CPU dropped 20 degrees celsius. So don't install this unless you have exactly the bugs described in the page/my post.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)