Reconciliation with Hello Server

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Re: Reconciliation with Hello Server

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Otto Kontrol wrote: February 13th, 2024, 7:58 pm It seems like some of you are looking for all the 'gory' details for whatever reason, whether to take sides or to just chime in on how the admins handled this "situation".
However, not only are we, the general public, not going to get the full details, but anyone not an admin doesn't need to know them.
oTTo
Otto I'm not interested in any "details," if by details you mean other people's interpretations of events. Even *gasp* an *ADMIN's* interpretation (falls to knee at the glory). LOL. My point being: I don't care to be included in admin politics. I'm saying, how could would it be if, instead of this petty game of who is or isn't an admin, or who does or doesn't get to 'decide' what the issues are for the rest of us (politics) we played the other game of we're all people in relationship with each other, people who care about each other, and so it'd best serve us for us each to get to know ourselves and each other. Which, is actually a bit at odds with the politics game, since the politics game is more about who can flex power over other people and get their way, and requires knowing how to dominate and manipulate people, but doesn't require really knowing what's going on with oneself at all.

Like, what I'm curious about, is what does Otto have going on that he feels the need to flex his new admin status, and remind us proles that we don't deserve to get these oh-so-important details that only people of his caliber can discuss. Who is Otto, as a person? What drives him? What's going on in his life? How is he affected by this discussion?
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Alright bud, shoot. What would you like to hear about?
Otto Kontrol
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Otto Kontrol »

First of all, I really didn't get your first paragraph but that's probably my fault. Can you clarify it a bit better? Secondly, I am not sure of what you mean by "flex his new admin status"? What makes you think I have any admin power at all and if I did, what power did I exercise by giving my opinion just like you gave yours?
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

I think some perspective is in order after reading all of these posts...all of this discussion about expressing feelings and getting along is amusing to me in retrospect.
Let's go back just a few years ago...say just to 2018...As Admins, we were constantly dealing with players' interpersonal conflicts. All of the petty bickering, the rude treatment towards one another...the total disruptions of gameplay due to players' inability to get along...the disrespect...and now...it's become somehow important to be decent human beings...
I submit it's an online video game.
I've always played where I want to play and when I want to play...nothing's changed.

~ tona
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

BlinkofanEye wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:24 am As you all know, I Like to type and play. And I've been known to cross that line where, 'some things just don't need to be shared/acted on.'

For a long time I looked up to the admin team at EA117 (among other reasons) because they were more tight-lipped and careful about what they said or did than other gaming communities. And they were an example (and probably still are) that I can learn from in that. But in the aftermath of the events of the past year, I've had a growing sense that, just like how I and others can affect people by being too loose-lipped and reactive, I'm feeling affected by how tight-lipped and withdrawn the EA admin team has become.

I can only imagine the feelings of hurt and betrayal that could've come from fostering a community for nearly two decades, to have it then be upturned in this way by someone you worked together with to create it, and someone who you literally brought up as a kid playing on your server. And for it to end thusly due to what seems like nothing more than petty vindictiveness.

My question: why not, instead of using cold, evaluative language, and official statements of "we're okay," "we're just doing our own thing," "people can play where they want to play"...where are the humans behind that? You know you're entitled to admit that you're hurt, and that you want to take your ball and go home? And there'd be no respect lost, at least not from anyone I think is worth caring what they think. And I don' think being a good admin or human being or whatever does not require being an unfeeling machine, but rather the opposite. You can't be of service to sensitive, feeling human beings unless you yourself become one too.
Honestly blink...you're investing too much time in analyzing the impact of an online video game.

I can tell you one thing for certain, there were/are zero Admins here who experienced feelings of "hurt and betrayal." No one has taken their ball and gone home. And what is this presumptive attitude that EA117 Admins are somehow "unfeeling machines..."
I distinctly remember a group of players here that made a concerted effort to "care less" about fellow players...ones who went so far as to be rude, disruptive, immature...one's who constantly complained about fellow players resorting to name-calling and all other manner of pettiness. Players who chat spammed and used foul language and said unruly things about other player's family members. Players who caused other, regular players to stop coming here.
I remember at least one or two players that had to be constantly reminded about being more concerned with fellow players...and by constantly I mean just about every time they logged on.

I think there is simply too much being read into the state of the game itself...it's down to a historically low number and some folks are getting bored.
Personally, I don't play at Hello's DC server because I don't like heavily modded servers...I have never liked heavily modded servers, especially ones that stray too far from the original intent of the game. If there were 10,000 servers again, Hello would not be one that I would choose to visit.
There is nothing else to that.

Historically, EA117 was always attractive to me because it was, for a long time, basic mods. That's what drew me to it and I've been coming here as long as I've played the game.

I rarely play anymore anywhere. The reason for that has nothing to do with whatever it is you're attempting to create.
Frankly, I retired and enjoy my hobbies and grandchildren. I no longer have the stress that I needed to escape from.
Have a beer...smoke some weed...drink some wine or whiskey and simply enjoy whats left of the game's life.

~ tona